Issue 118 November 2019 – January 2020
Our quarterly newsletter edited by Venessa Crane.
Contributions are welcome.
Click here to email a contribution to Venessa.
Celebrating Christmas With Gingerbread Fun
Our world famous Gingerbread night is on again
Wednesday, 27 November at 6.30 pm.
As usual it will be a great night of Gingerbread fun, overloading on lollies, and enjoying conversations about life, the universe and everything! What an extraordinary opportunity we have to share time with people from our community to chat, build relationships, and share the good news of Christmas. Come along and mix, mingle and chat.
Celebrating Christmas at BUC in 2019
Sunday, 22 December
9.00 am A Service of Carols and Lessons
10.30 am Carols for Kids
5.30 pm Carols Service
Tuesday, 24 December
6.30 pm Christmas Eve Carols Service
Wednesday, 25 December
9.00 am Christmas Day Service
Ladies’ Fellowship Annual Get-together
Commencing with devotions (singing and learning the background story to 4 older hymns – thanks to Gwen, Joan, Cherry and Tova!), 35 women attended and we were thrilled there were just as many from The Kirk and Forestville as there were from Belrose.
We were delighted to have Kathy Cummins as our Guest Speaker. She was most interesting, and we can now appreciate a whole lot more just what she and Bruce go through in their translation work in Cameroon. A very challenging task for this young couple whose next placement, we understand, will be in Nigeria. The ladies were happy to financially support Kathy & Bruce on the night.
The group had lots of fun singing the clue to Joan’s quiz – she gave us the first line of a well-known hymn and we then had to write down the rest of the first line. We also sang the answers!!! Kathy won.
Fellowship was then enjoyed over a delicious supper. Thanks to all the ladies who provided the food and helped wash up and clean up.
Quotes of R.C. Sproul (1939-2017)
Sproul was an American theologian and founder of Ligonier Ministries. They are known for their teaching of Reformed theology (biblical Christianity). Sproul was a prolific author and writer.
His quotes stand out as being particularly thought-provoking in all areas of our Christian living. Here is a selection that I trust you will find challenging.
- “God is not going to negotiate His holiness… in order to accommodate us”
- “The Gospel is only good news when we understand the bad news”
- “As the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, so the denial of God is the height of foolishness”
- “God does not rule by the consent of His subjects but by His sovereign authority. His reign extends over me whether I vote for Him or not”
- “We have to determine our theology from the Word of God, not from what we feel”
- “We are not sinners because we sin. We sin because we are sinners”
- “At the moment I sin, I desire the sin more than I desire to please God”
- “A holy God is both just and merciful. He is never unjust”
- “The main difference between the Christian God and the gods of other religions is that the God of Christianity exists”
- “If God is not sovereign, then He is not God”
- “Not until we take God seriously will we ever take sin seriously”
- “Grace and mercy are never deserved”
Happy 60th Birthday
Click here to view.